87-89 Shaw Street,
St Helens,
WA10 1EN
Tel: 01744 20055
Kind and Respectful Support

Help with funeral costs

We are not able to guarantee the availability of any social fund funeral payments as every family circumstance will differ.

The social fund may make a contribution towards the cost of a simple funeral within the United Kingdom.

This includes:

  • Conveying the deceased to our funeral home Chapel if they died away from home but within the United Kingdom.
  • Cemetery fees or Cremation fees.
  • Contribution towards the fees of the funeral director.
  • Doctors fees.

You can get help with the cost of the funeral if you or your partner gets one of the following qualifying benefits or entitlements:

  • Income Support.
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance.
  • Pension Credits.
  • Housing Benefits.
  • Council Tax Benefit.
  • Working Tax Credit which includes a disability or severe disability element.
  • Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element.

Full details are available on the notes sheet which comes with Funeral Payment from the Social Fund form SF200.

If you are refused a funeral payment from the social fund you may be eligible to:

  • Apply for a Budgeting loan from the social fund using form SF500.
  • Apply for a Crisis loan from the social fund using form SF401.

Check if there is any money available from:

  • Bank or Building Society accounts of the deceased.
  • Insurance Death Policies.
  • Charity Grants.
  • Any lump sum payments made by a pension scheme or relative, (either yours or those of the deceased).
  • Any savings you have in a bank or building society.
  • Premium Bonds.
  • National Savings.
  • Cash.